Help Realise Dreams! Do Your Bid For Charity!

May 30, 2008

It is truly heartening to note that people the world over have been donating generously to the good cause of funding the survivors of the Cyclone Nargis, which whipped Myanmar at the start of this month, as well as the May 12 Earthquake which devastated Sichuan, China. While the number of casualties of these natural disasters loom far and large, let’s not forget the huge number of survivors in duress for food, water and shelter, and for the case of the youths, education as well – commodities which are deemed basic and are easily taken for granted by each and every one of us.

So, please do keep your donations pouring in!

For the uninitiated, the following links to the Singapore Red Cross website, which features ways and means as to how you could play a role in setting the lives of the survivors back on track.

1. Singapore Red Cross Myanmar Cyclone Nargis Appeal
2. Singapore Red CrThe Pick-Me-Up Bookoss China Earthquake Appeal

In the meantime, however, let us not forget that life still goes on for the rest of the world and there are still a large number of unfortunate individuals out there who truly need our help.

The Pick-Me-Up Book was first launched in January this year when a group of 12 graduates from the program, The Courage to Create, was given an impossible deadline of 24 hours to write a book. The book is a collection of true stories about how people managed to overcome their dire circumstances when facing long odds, and turned their dreams into reality.

Aptly, the Make-A-Wish Foundation is the beneficiary to this cause. The organisation supports underprivileged children in turning their dreams into reality. 60% of the nett proceeds will be donated to the foundation, while the remaining 40% will be used to set up a social enterprise.

The book has since been distributed to good bookstores around the island, including Kinokuniya, Borders and Popular. It has also been featured on local media such as Channel News Asia, mypaper, and interviewed on local radio stations such as NewsRadio 93.8FM. The book has also been endorsed by MP Ellen Lee as well as MP for Aljunied GRC, Mdm Cynthia Phua.

Given the resounding response thus far, a second edition of the book will be launched at the World Book Fair this weekend. The upcoming launch will include both an English and a Mandarin version of the book.

The highlight of this edition is the story by Charmaine Tan, a 13-year-old wish-child from Make-A-Wish Foundation who is suffering from end-stage kidney failure, on top of a congenital eye disease which has led to her being visually-impaired today. Her wish, is to become a published author.

The good news is that her wish is about to be granted this coming weekend!

Details of the Book Launch are as follows:-

Book Launch – Pick-Me-Up Book (Edition 2)
Date: 31/05/2008 (Saturday)
Time: 3pm to 5pm
Venue: World Book Fair, Suntec City Convention Centre Level 4 (Booth 4EO1)

It will be wonderful if you could attend the launch (do spread the word as well!) to make the granting of Charmaine’s wish of becoming a published author a memorable one. Charmaine and her mother will be invited up on stage during the book launch to share her experiences of writing the book, and she will also be having her first autograph session then!

Do support the book by purchasing a copy (or better still, more than one) at the launch!

For more information, you may visit http://pickmeupbook.org/blog/pick-me-up-2nd-edition-launch-at-the-world-book-fair/.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: